30g Loose-leaf Tea - Spring Alishan
FLORAL & BUTTERY! High mountain oolongs are usually the gateway drug of the tea world. Beware, you might get hooked! This tea is sweet and floral with a hint of citrus sparkle. High up on a mountain, these teas grow slowly, becoming packed with nutrients and flavor.
Part of the production method involves stuffing the tea leaves into a bag and rolling them until the juice oozes out, and each leaf transforms into a ball shape coated in natural syrup. Delicious!
- Origin: Zhangshuhu, Alishan, Taiwann
- Traditional Tea Name: 阿里山-高山烏龍茶
- Cultivar: Qing Xin (青心)
- Elevation: 1200 m asl
- Other Growing Info: high mountain, conventional
- Oxidation Level: light-medium
- Harvest: mature leaves picked in April 2021
- Shaping: ball/pearl
- Maximum Brew Temperature: 195° F, 90° C
- Liquor Color: buttery yellow
- Quantity: 30g, about 5 portions
- Re-steeps: approximately 5-7
The back of the label has a stripe of color that can help you brew! Steep your leaves with water at the recommended maximum brew temperature and wait until the liquor color matches the color of the stripe.
We like brewing this by full-steeping in a vessel where water can circulate freely like a spacious teapot. Careful on the brewing temperature, otherwise the flavor can shift from floral to vegetal if the leaves get cooked. After the initial steeps, try cold steeping the leaves overnight for some delicious cold-brew iced tea!
We source this tea from Ms. Shiuwen who runs Floating Leaves Tea, a fabulous and captivating lady with a unique take on tea! She sources directly from talented farmers in Taiwan every season.